When it comes to Sturgis clubs, there's none quite like Sturgis Hospital Auxiliary. The auxiliary consists of eight separate guilds, each which offers a different service for the hospital. Here's a look at the different guilds and what their members do:
- Emergency Service Guild: The members of this guild assist the staff on duty by filling out forms, running errands, providing comfort for the family of emergency room patients, serving coffee, changing linens, watching restless patients, etc. Hours are seven days a week, as available. Meetings are held as needed.
- Gift Service Guild: Gift service guild members maintain and staff the gift shop where visitors and employees may purchase gifts, cards, and candy. Hours are 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday, three hour shifts. Meetings are the third Wednesday of each month at 10 a.m.-brunch in the hospital private dining room.
- Grobhiser Family Service Guild: Grobhiser family service guild members assist surgical patients' families by providing comfort, assistance, coffee and tea while families wait for a loved one who is in surgery. Hours are 8 a.m.-noon weekdays. Meetings are the third Monday of the month at noon with lunch in the hospital private dining room.
- Loan Service Guild: Loan service guild members purchase and lend equipment such as wheelchairs and walkers to patients and home care patients. Meetings are at 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month, September through June.
- Magazine Service Guild: The magazine guild members buy and distribute magazines throughout the hospital, to have available for patients' and visitors' reading pleasure. Meetings are the second Tuesday of the months of October, December, February and April at 10 a.m. in the hospital private dining room.
- Medical Scholarship Guild: Members provide scholarships for students entering college for a nursing career. The scholarship money is obtained from dues and donations by memorial gifts from anyone and in any amount. Meetings are held the third Wednesday, September through April with noon lunch in the hospital private dining room.
- Popcorn Guild: Popcorn guild members pop corn in the hospital for visitors and employees from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday. The money they make is used to purchase equipment for the hospital. Meetings are held at noon on the fourth Tuesday of the month in the hospital private dining room.
- Tray Guild: Members are responsible for tray favors that are put on the hospital patients' noon meal tray once a week throughout the year. They also make tray favors for all other special calendar days of the year. In the months they do not meet, members are assigned a day or two to make favors. Meetings are held at 7 p.m on the third Tuesday, July through October and March through May in the hospital private dining room.
This time of year is especially busy for auxiliary members. The loan guild is currently selling its holiday nuts, the gift shop just put out all its holiday inventory, and the Tree of Love event is coming up Dec. 4, said Mary Kay Schultz, vice president of human resources for Sturgis Hospital.
Schultz added that auxiliary members will decorate the hospital for the holidays Dec. 2 and a Valentine's Day bakeless bake sale will be held in February.
The auxiliary was organized in 1948 and currently has just under 100 members, Schultz said. Interested in joining? Stop by Sturgis Hospital at 916 Myrtle Ave., Sturgis, for an application, or call Schultz, 659-6541, for more information.